Shane and I were talking today about our oldest Lab Luke. He's 10 years old, an insulin dependent diabetic and is blind. Very blind. He's running into more and more things. Also, he's developing some fatty tumors which is normal with diabetes. He has one large one on his rib cage around his lung which makes his breathing hard. Shane and I've had talks about whether or not it is fair to Luke to keep him with us. He goes to the vet on Friday to find out if he is in pain. I honestly don't think he's in pain, but it just looks and sounds uncomfortable. I guess if the vet says he's fine, then we'll just be happy that Luke is ok.
But its so hard to see that he gets so frustrated with not knowing what's going on around him. He had company on Saturday and he was really agitated with the whole situation. He would not lay down and rest, rather he wanted to be in the middle of it all. This makes me frustrated, because when people aren't around he's generally a very well behaved dog. Jack on the other hand is a turd, but we love them both dearly. I'm not sure how Little Jack will react if his brother isn't here to be rescued or "herded" by Jack. It's so cute to watch Jack herd Luke back to house and out of the woods. He knows that his brother can't wander off.
He can't go on walks because he's older, the tumor which affects his breathing, and he's blind. He'll get to go in the front yard and maybe down to the street outside of our subdivision (we're the second house from the main road)....so its not that far...but he's usually wiped out after the walk.
Shane's had to make the decision to put a dog down. I've never had to do that. If Luke isn't living the best life possible, it isn't fair to him to keep him around for us. I certainly don't want to let him go, but I know that if its best for him, then I'm going to go to make that decision with Shane. I'll keep everyone posted.......Until next time..................
Sunday, March 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I'm so sorry :( It is so hard to make that decision. That's what happened last week with my parents cat, Lardy...she just was so old and in so much pain they decided to let her go. It's so hard, but it sounds like you are doing what good mommies do...and looking out for his best interest. HUGS
ReplyDelete